The Walk with Christ annual Eucharistic Procession through the streets of Sydney exists to make a joyful public proclamation and act of worship towards the person of Jesus Christ (as King), and to invoke His blessing upon the city.
The presence of Eucharist in this joyful liturgical act invokes the benevolent spiritual blessings of Christ onto the city and all who live there. The blessing is derived from He who has been “anointed to proclaim the good news to the poor …to proclaim freedom for prisoners and sight to the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour.”
It is in this way that the Walk with Christ is part of the spiritual and civic life of the city and Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney.
“Wherever it is possible in the judgement of the diocesan Bishop, a procession through the public streets should be held, especially on the Solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ as a public witness of reverence for the Most Holy Sacrament, for the “devout participation of the faithful in the Eucharistic procession on the Solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ is a grace from the Lord which yearly fills with joy those who take part in it”
– Pope John Paul II, Encyclical Letter, Ecclesia de Eucharistia
WALK WITH CHRIST 2019
Gather together for Sydney’s annual Procession of the Blessed Sacrament on the Solemnity of Christ the King.
This joyful public proclamation seeks to manifest the spiritual joy at the presence of the Saviour in the Eucharist (and His role as benevolent spiritual ruler). Like, for instance, the crowds who welcomed Christ into Jerusalem singing “Hosanna to the Son of David” and the wise virgins who accompanied the bridegroom at his arrival to the feast, so does the faithful of Sydney in their devotion accompany the Eucharistic Lord through its streets.
When: November 24 at 2.30pm
Where: Meet at the corner of Martin Place and Pitt Street
WALK WITH CHRIST BANNER COMPETITION
Primary school aged students are invited to create and carry a banner (Entry) at the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney (CAS) Walk with Christ procession on Sunday 24 November 2019 from 2:30pm to 4:30pm (Competition). Entries will be judged in 2 age groups and the Entry judged to be the best out of each age group will win the Prize (see details below).
Walk with Christ is the annual Eucharistic Procession through the streets of Sydney on the Feast of Christ the King organised by CAS. Thousands of people took part of last year’s joyful public proclamation and act of worship to invoke Christ’s blessing upon our beautiful city.
Entries in the Competition will be judged in 2 separate age groups as follows:
• Kindergarten to Year 2; and
• Year 3 to 6.
There will be 1 winner from each age group (2 winners in total). The winner from each age group will win the following prize:
• $100 gift card from the Smiggle® shop. The gift card is subject to Smiggle’s terms and conditions available at https://giftcards.smiggle.com.au/CMS/Page/giftcardterms; and
• 1 family pass for 2 adults and up to 3 children to the VIP area for the opening night of the Lights of Christmas at St Mary’s Cathedral Forecourt.
Winning Entries will be notified by email and through their school by 27 November 2019.
The Competition is open to all primary school aged students from Kindergarten to year 6 who attend a school (or a registered home school) within the geographic boundaries of CAS (Entrant).
To enter into the Competition, the Entrant’s parent/guardian must:
• Submit by email at email@example.com by 2:30pm on 24 November 2019 (ie. before the start of the procession):
– a completed Competition Application Form;
– a signed Conditions of Entry;
• Ensure that the Entrant participate and carry their banner at the Walk with Christ procession on 24 November 2019 and present it at a designated area at the St Mary’s Cathedral Forecourt where the Entrant will be photographed with their banners; and
• Accompany and supervise the Entrant during the Walk with Christ procession.
At the end of the procession, each Entrant will receive a Walk with Christ wristband.
Each Entrant may only submit one Entry in the Competition.
If you have any questions about this Competition, please send us an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Competition Application Form
Click here to download the Competition Application Form.
Conditions of Entry
Click here to download the Conditions of Entry
Film/photograph Consent Form
Please click here to download and complete the Film/photograph Consent Form of the Winner from each age group.