Payments will be decided on an individual basis. They will range from less than $10,000 through to $150,000.
Any earlier payments related to the abuse will be deducted from your redress payment.
- This includes payments from other redress and victims of crime schemes and out of court settlements.
- Earlier payments will be adjusted to today’s value. An annual inflation rate of 1.9% will be used.
- The adjusted amount will be deducted.
- Past payments that were made to support people with medical bills or other items, will not be taken into account for redress.
Redress payments will be:
- exempt from Commonwealth debt recovery
- exempt from income tests relevant to Commonwealth Government payments
- exempt from creditors where a person is bankrupt.
A redress payment can be included as part of the assets test for Commonwealth Government payments.