The Archdiocese of Sydney strives to promote the
safety and protection of children and other vulnerable
persons in its care.
- Manual Title Page
- Safeguarding and Child Protection Manual Index
- Policy on the care, well-being and protection of children and young persons (English)
- Chart of Archdiocesan child protection roles and responsibilities
- Code of Conduct for Working with Children and Young People (English)
Child Protection Matters
- Fact sheet: When is a child at risk of significant harm?
- Guidance document: When is a child at risk of significant harm?
- Protocol: Reporting a child who is at risk of significant harm
- Flowchart: Reporting child protection concerns
- Fact sheet: Managing child protection matters
- Protocol: Managing child protection matters
Filming and photographing children
Reporting Obligations to the Police, NSW Ombo and FaCS
- Reporting Protocol for Clergy and Parish Staff for any child related or vulnerable adult concerns
- Fact sheet: What is a reportable crime?
- Guidance document: What constitutes a reportable crime?
- Protocol: Reporting reportable crimes to the NSW Police
- Table of reportable crimes
- Fact sheet: What conduct must be reported to the NSW Ombudsman?
- Guidance document: What conduct must be reported to the Ombudsman?
- Protocol: Reporting inappropriate employee conduct to the NSW Ombudsman
Recording and Storing Child Protection Records
- Fact sheet: Keeping and sharing child protection records
- Protocol: Keeping and sharing child protection records
- Form: Details of child protection matter that has been reported to the NSW Police
- Form: Details of child protection matter that has not been reported to the NSW Police
- Summary of Document Retention obligations
- Fact sheet: What is child-related work?
- Guidance document: Who must obtain a Working with Children Check?
- Protocol: Screening of persons who work with children
- Flowchart: Screening of persons working with children
- Sample interview questions
- Form: Interview questions for applicants who will be engaged in child-related work
- Tips for conducting reference checks
- Form: Reference check Questions for the referee
- Form: Working with Children Check (WWCC) details
- Fact Sheet for Parishes: Who needs a needs a Working With Children Check?
- Checklist: Working With Children Check Checklist for Parishes
Dealing with Volunteers
Guidance when Working with Children
Safeguarding and Ministerial Integrity Office
The Safeguarding and Ministerial Integrity Office was established in the Archdiocese of Sydney in November 2015. The role of the Safeguarding Office is to raise awareness regarding our collective responsibility to protect the safety, well-being and dignity of children, young people and vulnerable adults within the Archdiocese of Sydney and to respond swiftly and compassionately in circumstances in which children are harmed or at risk of being harmed.
The focus of the Safeguarding Office is the prevention of abuse and harm to children, young people and the vulnerable within our Archdiocese. To this end, the Safeguarding Office has been developing and delivering training programmes on a range of Safeguarding protocols and procedures that work together to protect children from harm. These protocols and procedures embody the inherent values of the Catholic Church.
The emotional, physical and spiritual safety, well-being and dignity of children is an integral part of the teachings and values of the Catholic Church. The Archdiocese is wholly committed to ensuring the safety, well-being and dignity of all children, and acknowledges its important legal, moral and spiritual responsibility to create a safe and nurturing environment for those children.
The community has very clear expectations in matters relating to child protection and expects children will be protected from all forms of harm including sexual, physical and psychological harm, ill treatment and neglect.
The Archdiocese supports these expectations and strives to promote the safety and protection of children and other vulnerable persons in its care.
If you or a person close to you has been abused by someone working or ministering within the Archdiocese of Sydney, we invite you to contact us. We will listen to you respectfully, offer support and discuss the options you have available to you. Please contact the Safeguarding and Ministerial Integrity Office on ph 02 9390 5812
Contact: Karen Larkman, Director
Address: Polding Centre, 133 Liverpool St Sydney 2000
Telephone: (02) 9390 5810