The Charitable Works Fund (CWF) is a centralised fund that supports the charitable and pastoral activities of the Archdiocese of Sydney.
It is your charity, the charity of the Sydney Catholic community and your local parish.
CWF funds six agencies:
- Aboriginal Catholic Ministry – promoting reconciliation and mutual understanding and providing pastoral care for Catholic Aboriginals and supporting them in the living of their Faith.
- CatholicCare – Formerly known as Centacare, delivers over 100 programs in Ageing, Disability, Children & Youth, Employment Training & Support, and Family Services.
- Chaplaincies – Our chaplaincy services in hospital, prisons and universities provide much needed support to the lonely, sick, hurt and suffering in the community.
- Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (CCD) – provides religious education and Christian formation for Catholic children in public schools.
- Ephpheta Centre – provides services to the deaf and hearing impaired including sacramental, counselling, support and advocacy services.
- Seminary of the Good Shepherd – supporting the education and training of future Priests for the Archdiocese.
The generosity of those who contribute financially to the CWF, means that these agencies are able to assist thousands of people each year.
CWF is administered on behalf of the Archbishop of Sydney, by a committee and includes representatives from parishes, the Archdiocese and agencies supported by the fund. It meets regularly to oversee appeals, set parish assessments and supervise the distribution of funds to the agencies.
How you can make a difference
CWF is funded through three parish appeals each year (May, August and November), a schools appeal, direct donations, pledges and bequests.
By making a donation or bequest to the CWF, you can help to ensure those in need continue to receive help. Donations of $2 or more are tax-deductible and can be credited to your local parish.