Men’s Rosary Crusade
On the first Saturday of each month men are gathering all around the world in growing numbers to pray the rosary in public. The message of Our Lady of Fatima to pray for world peace is gaining huge traction amongst men to lead the charge and the men of Sydney are answering the call. The first Men’s Rosary Crusade had 30 men in attendance, the second on February 5 had 60 in attendance and the third gathering on March 5 had more than 120 men and their sons in attendance with Fr Lewi Barakat and Fr Sam Lynch also joining us in prayer.
In short, the MEN’S ROSARY CRUSADE is a movement of men publicly offering reparation and repentance to God on the ‘First Saturday’ of each month in honour of Our Lady of Fatima and her requests. The Men’s Rosary Crusade in Sydney takes place at 1pm on the forecourt of St Mary’s Cathedral on the first Saturday of each month. Mass is available at 12pm and confession from 11.30am in St Mary’s Cathedral. Mass attendance and the number of confessions heard have grown each month with many men leading their family to mass which has lifted the spirits of many including our priests.
Many may not be aware but St Mary’s Cathedral stands on the site of the first Catholic Chapel in Australia and the official title is “Immaculate Mother of God, Help of Christians”, Patroness of Australia and holds the title and dignity of a Minor Basilica, bestowed upon it by Pope Pius XI on 4 August 1930. Our Lady, Help of Christians is the Patroness of Australia and the title most associated with this country as well as the Cathedral and Minor Basilica. This is a great reason why we should all pilgrimage to this Minor basilica and Cathedral, especially on the first Saturday of the month.
So why on the ‘First Saturday of the Month’ and what is the ‘First Five Saturday Devotion’?
On May 29-30, 1930, Our Lord identified the five categories of offences or blasphemies against the Immaculate Heart of Mary for which reparation is to be made. We find here as well, the basis for “five” First Saturdays, rather than seven which would correspond to the Seven Sorrows, or nine which would correspond to Novenas. The 5 categories:
- Offences against the Immaculate Conception – its denial or ridicule.
- Against her perpetual virginity – that she had relations with Joseph and had other children.
- Against her Divine Maternity, refusing at the same time to accept her as Mother of all mankind – denying that she is the Mother of God and our Mother.
- The implantation into children’s hearts indifference, contempt and even hate against our Immaculate Mother.
- Insults directed against her sacred images – displays of indifference or ridicule, and the infliction of damage to them.
The elements (requirements) of this devotion:
- Sacramental Confession;
- Holy Communion received on five consecutive First Saturdays;
- The recitation of the Rosary in addition to meditating on the mysteries for at least 15 minutes.
- The above requirements must all be done with the intention of making reparation to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Thus our purpose is to console the Immaculate Heart for the offenses she receives by those who ungratefully reject her maternal intervention and despise her.
What did Our Lady promise to those who perform the First Saturday Devotion faithfully?
- The Virgin Mary’s assistance at the hour of death with the graces necessary for salvation.
- Establishing devotion to the Immaculate Heart will result in the salvation of souls and peace.
From the Child Jesus with Our Lady of Fatima:
“I want My Church to…put the devotion to this Immaculate Heart beside the devotion to My Sacred Heart.”
Our Lady assured Lúcia:
“My Immaculate Heart will be your refuge and the way that will lead you to God.” Thus, if we devote ourselves to her Immaculate Heart, Mary will lead us to her Son, Jesus Christ and we will be on the way to Heaven.
And we are not alone as men gather on the same day each month throughout the world, rain, hail or shine namely in Poland, Ireland, Ukraine, England, Slovakia, United States, Lebanon, Malta, Croatia plus more as more men and nations join us each month in a truly universal and Catholic way! Amazingly, the images of men on their knees in Sydney have been shared worldwide and is inspiring men in other parts of Australia and the world. I have been in contact with the men of Ireland and they have now spread this great devotion to 13 cities/towns throughout Ireland and the United States are not far behind with Poland clearly leading the way.
Gents, after witnessing with great joy the Consecration of Russia and Ukraine led by our Archbishop Anthony Fisher on Saturday March 26 at 3am in a packed St Mary’s Cathedral we should again have the confidence to gather in huge numbers seeking Our Lady’s intercession. This invitation is not anyone’s, but Our Lady’s, She is calling and inviting you to join Her this Saturday April 2 and subsequent ‘First Saturdays of the Month’.
In the words of Christ – ‘Be Not Afraid’ so join us, spread the word and bring others along with you.
Mary, Help of Christians, pray for us!
Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!
Our Lady of Fatima, pray for us!
St Joseph, terror of demons, pray for us!
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us…