Titular Bishop of Talattula
Most Rev Terence John Gerard Brady was born on 19 April 1947 in Rose Bay and was baptised in the parish church of St Mary Magdalene. His family later moved and became regular parishioners at St Joseph’s, Oatley. His late father, Bernard, was a builder. Bishop Brady's mother Mary and his younger sister Frances were present at St Mary's Cathedral when he was ordained an auxiliary bishop for the Archdiocese of Sydney on 16 November 2007.
After attending St Declan’s Penshurst he undertook secondary schooling at De La Salle Cronulla. A short time in the workforce preceded eight years as a religious brother with the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart. Bishop Brady then worked as a social worker with South Sydney Council before commencing his studies for the priesthood at St Patrick’s College, Manly. He was ordained a priest for the Archdiocese of Sydney on 20 August 1983 by Archbishop (now Cardinal) Edward Clancy.
Bishop Brady served as Assistant Priest in the parishes of Liverpool, Strathfield and finally Kingsgrove, where he was appointed Parish Priest in 1993. Since January 2004 he has been Parish Priest of Sydney Harbour North, comprising the partnered parishes of Clifton Gardens, Mosman and Neutral Bay.
He has maintained a strong commitment to social justice through a long connection with the St Vincent de Paul Society, especially serving the homeless through the Matthew Talbot Hostel, and for the last seven years as the Director of Catholic Mission for the Archdiocese.
His main recreation is swimming and he also enjoys music (especially Celtic).
As an auxiliary bishop he has been assigned the titular episcopal see of Talattula, an ancient North African diocese in what is now Tunisia.
Contact details for Bishop Brady
Level 11, 133 Liverpool Street
Sydney NSW 2000
Telephone: 9822 7935
Facsimile: 9600 7633