About Us

John Edward HEAPS

Bishop John HeapsAuxiliary Bishop 1981-1992

Born on 25 Feb 1927, Hamilton, in New South Wales, Australia in the parish of Hamilton. (Maitland Diocese)
His father was Edward Knowles Heaps and his mother was Mary M Walker.
He was educated at Dulwich Hill High School, and attended Seminary at St Columba’s, Springwood; St Patrick’s College, Manly.
He was ordained on 8 Mar 1958, in St Mary's Cathedral, Sydney by Cardinal Norman T Gilroy and incardinated in the Archdiocese of Sydney.

He was elected as Bishop on 4 Sep 1981 as Titular Bishop of Cathaig, Auxiliary Bishop of Sydney.
He was consecrated (ordained as Bishop) on 31 Oct 1981 in St Mary's Cathedral, Sydney by Cardinal James D'A Freeman (Consecrating Bishop) the Archbishop of Sydney. He was assisted by Archbishop Luigi Barbarito, the Apostolic Pro-Nuncio, and Archbishop James P Carroll, the Titular Archbishop of Amasea; Auxiliary Archbishop of Sydney.
He retired on 31 Mar 1992, to Ramsgate.
During his lifetime, he has been Assistant Priest of Harris Park, Waitara, Guilford, Woollahra. Administrator of Golden Grove; Parish Priest, Malabar, Dover Heights (Regional Bishop); Chaplain - Little Sisters of the Poor, Drummoyne; Director Catholic Immigration Office Sydney. He was awarded MBE - Member of the Order of the British Empire - for work in the re-settlement of migrant people.

Bishop Heaps died on 21 June 2004.

Homily by Bishop David Cremin at the funeral of Bishop Heaps (29 June 2004) 

 

Return to The Predecessor Auxiliary and Co-adjutor Archbishops of the Archdiocese of Sydney